Contract hours: Full time
Line Manager: TBA
Email your application
Reporting to one of the Principal Engineers, the successful applicant will take ownership of laying out complex assemblies and designing parts for a range of vehicles covering the Aerospace, Automotive and Marine sectors. The successful applicant will also be expected to lead a small team of engineers on relevant projects.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Taking concepts provided by the Principal Design Engineers from initial design through to final design and development
- Challenging existing designs and providing constructive feedback to more junior engineers
- Contributing in technical meetings and leading design reviews.
- Keeping to project plans and able to contribute to planning meetings
- Checking hand calculations and drawings for manufacture confirming the design intent has been met.
- Designing new components that satisfy stiffness and strength requirements staying within specified weight constraints
- Sympathetically designing mechanical parts for manufacture. Knowledge of the manufacturing processes involved is expected. Knowledge of composite design and tooling requirements would be advantageous.
- Liaising with Stress engineers on FEA and iterating designs accordingly.
- Ensuring all CAD geometry is kept up-to-date and any changes or requests are clearly communicated with other engineers working on the same projects
- Providing technical support for any off-site testing as required
- Modelling and drafting using 3D CAD software
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (2:1 Minimum) in Mechanical/Automotive/Aeronautical Engineering or similar.
- At least 6 years experience in a relevant high-level engineering industry
- A sound knowledge of metallic materials and vehicle systems
- A working knowledge of composite design and the various manufacturing techniques.
- Some knowledge of electrical design would be advantageous although not crucial
- Experience with high-end CAD systems (CATIA/NX preferred – other systems will be considered)
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
- High attention to detail and the ability to work under limited supervision
- Some leadership required to lead a small team of mechanical engineers/graduates